Monday, January 24, 2011

When to use colons and semicolons

Semicolons and colons both have multiple uses.  I'll go over each use and give a few examples.
 
SEMICOLONS

There are two distinct ways to use semicolons:
  •  To connect two sentences that could stand alone but are related to each other.  A simple way to think of this use is: if both a comma and a period seem equally appropriate, you can use a semicolon.
Examples 
"The sun was not shining; it was nighttime."
"Six people entered the haunted house; only two remain."
  • To clarify how each part of a sentence with many commas relates to the others.
Examples
"As you know, class next week is cancelled; however, there is a review exercise you will be expected to complete during that time." 
"The people that are coming to the party are Sophie, who will bring the van; Claire, who will bring the peach pie; and Chelsea, who will bring all the gifts."



COLONS
Colons are a lot more useful than semicolons. In addition to the three uses I'll be going over, colons can be used for expressing time (e.g. 12:47 PM), separating a title from a subtitle (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages), and I don't think I want/have time to talk about this anymore so I am done.


  • To connect one sentence with a second sentence that explains or gives details about the first sentence.
Examples
"They were told only one thing: don't go into the woods at night."
"Don't make me think up more example sentences: I'm starting to hate all punctuation and all grammar."
  • To indicate that a list follows. 
Examples
"I bought a number of things at the store: a stapler, a new clock, safety pins, and tape."
"Bearded dragons will eat any of the following: veggies, crickets, meal worms, and wax worms."

No comments:

Post a Comment