Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Third interview

Interview Preparations
For my third interview I didn't change very much. I had the same recorder, the same set of questions (even though I did want to change them, I never did get around to it). My interviewee was a classmate, Ibrahim, who was nice enough to volunteer to be interviewed even though it's so close to finals.

We had planned to the interview in the library, but for some reason there were a lot of people all over, and no real space where we wouldn't be disturbing anyone. So we went to Caribou and did the interview there.

Transcript
I chose not to transcribe this interview. There was too much that couldn't be heard over the background noise in the recording, so it would have definitely been my weakest transcription.

Personal Review
In retrospect, it was a bit of a mistake to do the interview at Caribou. I didn't realize how noisy it was over there, and how much background noise and talking my recorder would pick up. Even after the interview I thought it would be fine, but when I was listening to the recording to try and transcribe it, I found out that wasn't really the case.

The interview itself went fine, though. My interviewee seemed comfortable and was willing to give a lot of detailed information about Saudi Arabia and its culture. Unfortunately, since I hadn't changed my questions, I still had a few questions that didn't serve much of a purpose.

Country Report
Saudi Arabia is a large country in the middle east. It is a monarchy where approximately 97% of the population practices Islam. The official language of Saudi Arabia is Arabic, but other languages such as Tagalog and Urdu are spoken in some parts of the country. The climate is a desert climate, and the country is known for being one of the largest exporters of petroleum.

(Information in country report taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia. Accessed 4/24/2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment